Brexit: FDFA Helpline offers advice for Swiss citizens

Bern, Media release, 24.06.2016

The electorate of the United Kingdom has voted to leave the European Union in a referendum. The current regulations regarding Swiss citizens and companies will remain valid for the time being. There is, however, a high level of demand for information from Swiss citizens in Switzerland and abroad. The Federal Department of Foreign Affairs FDFA has made additional staff available on the FDFA Helpline to answer calls regarding the impact of the United Kingdom's decision on Swiss citizens. The FDFA Helpline can be contacted on 0800 24-7-365 and is available around the clock, including at weekends.

Although the electorate of the United Kingdom has voted to leave the European Union, current regulations regarding Swiss citizens and companies remain applicable for the time being and nothing will change immediately. Swiss citizens can contact the FDFA Helpline if they have questions about how this issue may affect them.  In Switzerland the number to call is 0 800 24-7-365. Calls are free of charge. If you are calling from abroad, dial the country code for Switzerland (0041), then 800 24-7-365. Calls from outside Switzerland incur a charge. A list of answers to frequently asked questions is available on the FDFA homepage and on the websites of the Swiss Embassy in London and the Mission of Switzerland to the EU in Brussels.

FDFA Helpline

Further information >


Swiss citizens first consult this webpage, should any questions arise which may not have been answered before. 

The Swiss Embassy London updates the official FAQs and Brexit-specific communications reqularly - visit the official pages here: [LINK]

The UK government has a website that provides an overview of the status of EU citizens in the UK.

More information can be found in the joint report by the UK and the EU and in the case studies the UK government published, giving examples of how individual EU citizen’s residence status in the UK will be affected by the UK’s exit from the EU.

Useful information can also be found in the FAQ section on the website of the European Commission.

If you would like to find out the latest information on citizens’ rights and the settled status, you can sign up to UK Home Office email updates here.